Hospitality Apprenticeship North East

Hospitality Apprenticeship North East

The Hospitality Apprentice North East (HANE) – is now open to applications for the September 2020 intake of young adults who want to take their first steps in the world of hospitality. The programme, which saw its first intake of apprentices in September 2019, aims to find the next generation of industry professionals. The 18-month, paid apprenticeship leads to SVQ level 5 on completion and apprentices are paid at the national minimum wage for their age rather than at the lower national apprenticeship rate.

The bespoke 18-month programme gives participants experience in four areas of hotel operation – housekeeping, reception, food and beverage and kitchen. Apprentices have the opportunity to take part in masterclasses and learning journeys as well as the option to continue beyond the 18 months’ apprentice scheme with an additional six-month project within their hotel. The 2019 intake of apprentices visited The Fife Arms in Braemar for wine education with a top London sommelier, toured a whisky distillery, underwent barista training, had a show round of commercial laundry and had the chance to meet celebrity chef Glynn Purnell who himself started as an apprentice.

Hannah Kerridge, is one of the 2019 intake of HANE apprentices, she joined the scheme after leaving university and working in a hotel and recommends the scheme to any school leavers or young adults who want a hands-on learning experience.

“I knew that it was hotels I wanted to work in, and it was hospitality I wanted a career in. The apprenticeship offers me a qualification and far more experience in different departments which would put me in good stead to go further in my career. And it’s a paid apprenticeship. If someone had raised this with me when I left school I would have taken it up and gone straight into getting lots of hands on experience. If I’d gone into it straight from school, I maybe would be a supervisor or duty manager by now rather than in a couple of years’ time. That’s what I am aiming for just now. You do get placements at college but with the apprenticeship you are paid the entire time and get a whole range of experience every day– which is a massive selling point for taking an apprenticeship route.

Applications for the 2020 intake of students – which will start work in September – are now open via www.hospitalityapprentice.com.